This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure for details at the bottom of this page. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases on this post about dark chocolate espresso truffles recipe!
Do you ever stop and stare into the windows of gourmet European-style chocolate shops. These shops always contain shelves of different types of confectionery products such as bonbons, pralines, and (of course) truffles. Further, the window displays look like something imagined from a glorious magical dream–especially during the holidays. As a child, I dreamed of eating everything in sight. As an adult, I wondered how difficult those delicious treats were to make.
Of the different confectionaries, I learned that truffles are actually incredibly easy to make–all you need is a little patience and good-quality ingredients. Deeply rich and creamy, this dark chocolate espresso truffle recipe will instantly take care of all your chocolate cravings.
Before we get to the recipe, let’s learn all about truffles! First, I will give some helpful tips for making any type of chocolate truffle. Then, I will answer some potential questions you have about making them!
What Are Truffles?
A chocolate truffle is a rich, creamy, and decadent chocolate confectionery usually made by covering a chocolate ganache center with a coating of melted chocolate, cocoa powder, coconut, or chopped nuts.
There are a variety of different truffles–People uniquely make each type of truffle based on country and culture of origin. You may find Belgium, Swiss, or Spanish truffles when traveling through Europe or in a gourmet chocolate shop.
For this recipe, we use the French version of these chocolate treats–To make this variety, you combine chocolate with butter. Once you melt the two in a double boiler, you fold in heavy cream. Then, you chill the mixture until the ganache sets. For those wanting to learn how to make confectionary treats I recommend starting with truffles–the process is incredibly easy!
Tips & Tricks for Making This Espresso Truffle Recipe:
- To make truffles taste as delicious as the gourmet chocolate shops, always use good quality ingredients. For example, I never recommend using chocolate chips to replace good-quality chocolate bars.
- For this recipe, I recommend either dark or semi-sweet chocolate. I do not recommend milk chocolate. Milk chocolate already contains a dairy ingredient. In order to be considered milk chocolate, it must contain at least 12 % of milk–Milk is either added to chocolate in the form of milk powder, condensed milk, and/or regular liquid milk. The added milk changes the cooking process and flavor.
- When melting the butter in a heat proof bowl over simmering water, make sure the water is not touching the bowl. This results in too much heat transfer and can burn the ingredients.
- Once chilled, you can scoop out the truffles using a few different methods. I use a ½ TBSP to scoop the truffles. Other people prefer to use two spoons or a small cookie scoop.
- Though I use cocoa powder to cover my truffles, you can use other ingredients such as crushed nuts (examples include hazelnut or macadamia) or toasted coconut. Don’t be afraid to change the recipe based on your taste!
- You can use instant espresso powder or regular espresso powder. I used instant espresso powder when testing the recipe–if you use real espresso powder, I recommend using a bit less as it can be stronger.
Homemade Chocolate Espresso Truffles Frequently Asked Questions:
Now that we learned about truffles, we can answer some questions you may have about this chocolate treat! If we did not answer your question, feel free to leave a comment below or email us at email@example.com.
Are These Espresso Truffles Gluten-Free?
Our dark chocolate espresso chocolate recipe is gluten-free!
Though these truffles do not contain gluten, always read the labels when picking out your ingredients. If you have severe reactions to gluten like me, you should avoid products processed on the same machinery with allergens. Companies often manufacture chocolate on the same machinery with major allergens such as wheat, tree nuts, and peanuts.
Do Chocolate Truffles Contain Real Truffle?
Chocolate truffles do not contain any real truffles. Though these chocolates do not contain truffles, they are named after the edible fungi!
Chocolate truffles bear a striking visual resemblance to the fungi truffles!
How Do You Store Chocolate Truffles?
To store our dark chocolate espresso truffles, place them in an airtight container. Then, keep them in the refrigerator. Remove the truffles from the refrigerator 10 minutes before serving.
How Long Do These Espresso Truffles Last?
Truffles contain perishable ingredients. As such, you should eat them within a few days. I recommend eating these within 3-4 days for best quality and flavor.
We Hope You Enjoyed Learning Dark Chocolate Espresso Truffles!
In the end, we hope you enjoyed learning about our dark chocolate espresso truffles recipe. If so, let us know in the comment section below.
If you would like to read more about cooking, you can find further recipes on our blog. We listed some of our favorite Carving A Journey recipes below! For reference, many recipes are influenced by our blended Korean and Southern heritage.
Carving A Journey Dessert Recipes:
- White Chocolate and Smoked Salt Pistachio Brittle
- Classic Chocolate Truffles
- Gluten-Free Pistachio Butter Cookies; and
- Korean Strawberry Milk
If you have any questions or comments, you can also email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
And, finally, we would love to hear from you through our social media as well! You can follow us at @carvingajourney on Instagram, Twitter, Facebook, and Pinterest. Or, if you would like more articles like these, you can subscribe to our blog by joining our mailing list. We hope you enjoyed learning about dark chocolate espresso truffles! Soon, we will be publishing more recipes using this Korean ingredient! Thank you so much for stopping by!
Carving A Journey is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com. Although we may earn commissions for our endorsement, recommendation, testimonial, and/or link to any products or services from this website, these opinions are my own and I fully support these products.